Thursday 15 March 2012


Hi again guys. Sorry that its been a while since my last post ( didnt think i had any readers! ) but now im back and will post regularly. Ok now onto the army...

I have now had about 6-8 games with necrons and find them incredibly fun and a solid army choice. Im also still unbeaten with them :) although i have the 40k UK GT coming up next weekend so that unbeaten run will end.

The list i previously posted was what i started with , i took them to a 1 day event and out of 3 games i won 2 and drew one.
First game:  My first game i drew a fairly new Eldar player. He ran a could of wraithlords a couple of wave serpents, 6 walkers and a variation of troops. ( this was 2k so i added 5 more warriors to each unit )  During the game there was a few turns where i felt a little bit worried, when any unit gets close to my warriors i get so worried, especially when theres 10 banshes 7 inches away from my back line infront of my warrior units :... :(  anyway, eventually i managed to table him, the game was 1 objective each and my lords performed outstandling  making a wraith lord on 2 wounds kill himself with mind shackle scarabs then getting shot to death by a unit of walkers , then getting back up and dealing with them  ( happy days ).

Game 2:  my second game was against guard with manticores, hydras, vendettas , chimeras and more plasma and melta troops than you could wave a stick at... my face immediatly dropped. I dont know much about guard so i struggled to choose what took priority so i just aimed at the biggest thing, the vendettas 2 in seperate units.i deployed wrong and had my wraiths infront which left them open to be obliterated , And obliterated they was, at the end of his first turn i had 1 wraith left... bad times. my lords managed to take out 1 vendetta but due to my deployment couldnt maximize the damage onto both. The game was swings and roundabouts, one turn i did well and he did terrible, the turn after i did terrible and he did well. i managed to get a draw in the end ( 5 objectives game ) holding 2 each. i didnt find mobility to be a problem since the warriors are able to move 6 and still fire there lance so can constantly move if needed.

Game 3: in my last game i drew grey knights * sigh *  ... he had a storm raven with paladins in and a librarian, psykers in rhinos, acolytes in razorbacks and psyfledreads. Again my opponent went first, he did the usual trick of turbo boosting his storm raven into my face and destroyed a barge with his multi melta. Again i felt myself having a terrible start. Luckily i managed to get my second barge over his storm raven and jump out . I knew the paladins would cause me a whole lot of hurt next turn so this was my plan ... Sweep attack the storm raven, destroy it, fire all my annihilation barges into the paladins hopefully take a few wounds off, then assault them with my lord and wraiths.
This is what happened ... I managed to destroy the storm raven, then i shot my first annihilation barge into the paladins, caused 0 wounds and rolled for the arc on the lord and wraiths, unfortunatly i managed to arc into my lord, causing 3 wounds.... failing.... 3 wounds :(.  so there was my plan screwed. I then continued to shoot everything into them  and did nothing. I had no choice but to throw my wraiths into combat with them and luckily managed to tie them up for 2 turns , positioning my warriors in the next turn so that they could fire on them at a safe distance away . Eventually on turn 4 i managed to take them all out thank god! and i won the game at range shooting everything i had into his gunline of psykers,razorbacks and dreads, last turn my scarabs managed to kill 2 dreadnoughts  and a razorback which won me the game ( kill points ).
Having to fire so much into the paladins really made me unable to deal with the rest of his army effectivly which i noticed would be a big problem in the future. I managed to finish 4th out of 20 and had a really good day .


Well, that was my first tournament with my crons and not loseing a game really gave me a confidence boost but the issue now was, i needed to change my list to be able to deal with death star units alot quicker than i did on that day. Be sure to check my next post about my new list that i will be taking to the 40KUK GT next weekend. I hope i havn't bored you too much and it would be great to read your comments!

2 comments:

  1. GJ on all the games. Not loosing a single game is always nice but you also didnt win with much, and there lies the problem. Necrons can easily work most opponents to a standstill. What we need is a tactic/list that can go further and win big. One of our biggest problem to deal with is just terminators/paladins, we dont have the low ap to take them out fast. We can either do a mech necron and move around avoiding them, or we can make a cheaper way and include more veil crypteks, do a split deployment to lure them out,, cripple their stormraven/Land raider by sacrificing one of the command barges, then veil out of that flank and he will have to walk all the way back with his expensive CC unit to try catching you.

    Warriors will crumble in CC, and just walking them to objectives without veil or mech will put them in front of opponents CC units, or open to get obliterated by enemy fire. That is why i think pure walking troops are a bad idea,(without veil at least) you need a plan B.

    Scarabs are nice to take down vehicles, but in your list am thinking it might be better to lose one scarab unit to get either more shooting or a better counter-attack unit that can handle CC units comming to close.

    Looking forward to see your new list

    ReplyDelete
  2. great ideas there Stefan, i will be putting up my new list tomorrow as its too late now. i did plan to but got busy painting! :). the idea of a veil is great and i love the thought of being able to deepstrike away from things which will be really helpfull. The only problem i have is that at the major events in the uk the tables have a lot ( and i meen alot ) of terrain which could make veiling a problem, i also havn't deepstriked much since ive been playing 40k so its nothing i have really looked into. but yes mate, a good idea to think of for the future. i havnt found walking to objectives a problem but havnt played many games, the list was lacking and hopefully ive sorted it ;) you will find out tomorrow so keep checking! thanks for the feedback though buddy, greatly appreciated :).

    ReplyDelete